Trucking companies have been forced to change the way they run their fleet. Sharing vehicles is common in the industry and ensuring vehicles are clean and safe to enter is important during COVID-19.
Drivers should clean interiors of shared vehicles before and after using them.
Equipment and supplies that can be utilized for cleaning hard surfaces include:
- Paper towels and Rags
- Plastic Bags for waste disposal, Labels, tape and permanent marker if garbage is going to be put into common waste disposal.
- PPE as required latex or rubber gloves, safety glasses and any other equipment required by carrier health and safety policy and procedure.
Cleaning agents and disinfectants that are effective and available at most grocery stores and rest stops include:
- Lysol Multi surface cleaner
- Lysol Disinfectant spray
- 3m Disinfectant cleaner
- Spray Nine
- Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
Hydrogen Peroxide Spray with a minimum concentration of 3% is also effective in the disinfection of hard surfaces.
- When cleaning and disinfecting affected surfaces utilize PPE and avoid hand contact with face, eyes and nose.
- Do not use solvent based cleaners.
- Avoid Bleach as it can damage and discolor certain materials.
- Ensure you wipe of all excess cleaner and disinfectant.
- Follow all manufactures recommendations for usage, dilution rates, warnings for surface damage i.e., certain plastics.
Commercial grade cleaners and hard surface disinfectants are available as well and a complete list of cleaning agents approved by the Health Canada is available on Health Canada’s website
Surfaces that should be cleaned before and after use of vehicle include:
- Steering wheel
- Dashboard and Peripherals such as touch screens, GPS and ELD panels
- Fobs and Switches
- Shift lever
- Inside door panels, handles and control buttons
- Steering column and all peripherals such as turn signal lever, brake lever and controls
- Seat and Seat controls
- Sleeper berths and common areas that may have been touched such as door pillars, panel door handles.
- Hood latches, grab handles and exterior compartment doors can also be wiped down
Always dispose of used cleaning supplies and trash in a plastic bag and label.
Drivers should follow hand washing recommendations after cleaning is completed by washing under warm water with soap for at least 20 seconds. If Soap and water is not available, a hand sanitizer that contains a minimum of 60% alcohol may be utilized.