ELDs for Federally Regulated Carriers
Transport Canada confirmed in 2016 that officials will be moving forward with an ELD mandate in Canada as a standard mechanism for monitoring, auditing and enforcing compliance with Nation hours of service regulations.
By fall of 2017, it is expected that a Gazette I will be published on the mandate of ELDs for federally regulated carriers in Canada. During Part I, Canadians have a chance to submit a comment to the relevant government department prior to the publication of Part II.
The Canadian Trucking Alliance says many clarifications it asked for in the pre-consultation phases leading up to Canada’s proposed ELD rule are expected to be incorporated once Transport Canada issues its Gazette I Notice – slated for sometime this summer.
Based on recent presentations at the CCMTA annual meeting, the next phase of the proposal is expected to include:
- Identifying a phase-in period for the regulation, as well as further grandfathering protection for existing electronic recording devices;
- Addressing yard miles in the same way FMCSA has (on-duty, not driving);
- Clarifying that ELDs would not be required for drivers who operate within the 160-km radius of their home terminal;
- Clarifying that ELDs will not be required for drivers and carriers that operate under federal hours of service permits. (Paper logbooks will still be required, however);
- That consideration be given for reducing the amount of supporting documents drivers and carriers will be required to keep, which is in line with the US requirements;
- That ELDs will not be required for rental vehicles if the rental period is less than 30 days;
- A suitable and easy to follow roadside inspection process
Transport Canada’s goal is to complete a final rule (Gazette II) before the end of this year. Once the final rule is issued, it will spell out the transition timeframes and compliance date for ELDs in Canada.
In the meantime, an ELD working group made up of CTA board members, suppliers, and provincial associations will review the proposed rule and will prepare comments to Transport Canada when it is issued. The Saskatchewan Trucking Association is a member of the CTA ELD working group.
Notice: Undefined index: pagination in /home/content/a2pnexwpnas03_data03/58/3513658/html/wp-content/plugins/list-category-posts/include/lcp-widget.php on line 32