Professional Driver Improvement Course (PDIC)
This course is designed for all drivers, regardless of the amount of time they have been involved in the transportation industry.
This course covers safety best practices, driver image and attitude, and defensive driving.
The course also includes information on Vehicle Trip Inspections as per the regulations of the Highway and Transportation Act. This standard aims at early identification of problems that could cause or contribute to collisions or vehicle breakdowns.
An overview of the Canadian Hours of Service Regulations is also provided. These regulations aim at ensuring drivers are not fatigued to the extent that they are unable to safely operate a commercial vehicle.
- Module 1 – Attitude, Image and Public Relations
- Module 2 – Driver Fitness, Fatigue and Alertness
- Module 3 – Hours of Service Overview
- Module 4 – Vehicle Inspections
- Module 5 – Airbrakes Overview
- Module 6 – Professional Defensive Driving Techniques
- Module 7 – Passing, Following and Stopping
- Module 8 – Backing
- Module 9 – Determining Preventability
- Module 10 – Adverse Conditions
- Module 11 – Off-Highway Driving
- One day course duration
- Successful completion of the course requires a minimum of 80% on the final exam
- Each participant receives a handbook
- Wallet card issued by the STA
- Certification expires every three (3) years
Language of Instruction: English
Instructor-led in-person and video conference training is offered on a calendar schedule.